Millions of people in the UK expose themselves and their families to potentially fatal electrical accidents in their homes by making simple mistakes, down to a lack of knowledge about the dangers of electricity
It is very important to make sure that the electrical installation in your property is well maintained, serviced correctly and we recommend that you use a registered electrician to carry out the checks to ensure it is safe and complying.
However, there are several simple, visual checks that you can carry out yourself please see these below:
- Check that you have RCD protection in your fusebox.
- Make sure that your plug sockets are not overloaded.
- Ensure that plugs and sockets are not damaged/cracked or broken.
- Check that visible cables and leads are in good condition.
- Check that your light fittings are not visibly damaged and that downlighters are in good working condition.
- Do not use the top of the microwave for extra storage.
- Never take mains-powered electrical items into the bathroom.
- Always switch off your electrical items when they are not in use.